DIRECTIONS: This section asks questions whose answers can be found at a website on the internet.
- Go to the web site for the World Trade Organization to find answers to the following questions.
- Who is the Director General of the WTO?
- In what year was the WTO established?
- How many countries are members of the WTO?
- How is the WTO different from the GATT?
- What is the difference between multilateral and plurilateral agreements?
- Explain the principle of "national treatment". Why is an import tariff, which is levied on imported but not domestic goods, NOT considered a violation of national treatment?
- Explain what a tariff binding is. Why are these considered important?
- What is the Trade Policy Review Mechanism? What is the review schedule?
- What were some of the new trade issues covered in the Uruguay Round of trade negotiations?